"My ambition is handicapped by my laziness."

January 26, 2009

Fluxus in a Box.


George Maciunas


Since I was a child and almost constantly lonely, I developed a very interesting habit. Hide things in a box. I love to assemble a small kit with my things in it. I like things....and I like boxes even more. Mysterious little boxes. What can be more exciting than that?



This indescribable sensation, maybe childish, definitely fascinating passion for kits and boxes impressed an American artist too, who happened to be a founding member of the Fluxus movement as well.
His name is George Maciunas He is generally credited with having invented the name “Fluxus.”
Maciunas was an artist ahead of his time, his art was inspirational, his style revolutionary.Maciunas art was best described as anti-art. Sense of humor was always needed to fully appreciate his work.Visionary and artistic genius,an inspiration to a generation.

He became an organizing force in the New York avant-garde scene of the 1960s.During this time, Maciunas was assembling Fluxus boxes and Flux-Kits, small boxes containing cards and objects. One of his creation was the suicide kit consisted of small compartmentalized clear plastic boxes that contained the necessary tools to do yourself in. This kit did not include instructions so you had to get creative with some of the objects. One was a fish hook on a string that George pointed out. The hook would be swallowed then by pulling up the on string you would get to your maker. Lovely, isn't it?


Fluxus Box.

No comments: