
It's Christmas and everybody is in this shopping and gift giving fever. Christmas is about family, about peace, love and understanding...and of course Santa Clause, gifts, Santa's little helpers...
Yes, those little elfs. Odd looking little creatures.
Since I was a child I have this sensation and affinity when I see someone who isn't ordinary, has an abnormal behaviour or simply an interesting face.I remember when my mother said; it's rude to stare at those people for minutes, but I couldn't help it.They radiate. These unique people amaze me, not just because of they odd looks, but because the attitude they have.They know they are different, but they don't give a dime.Extraordinary people with amazing attitude.It seems I'm not alone with this enthusiasm/viewpoint.
Diane Arbus was an American photographer noted for her portraits of people on the fringes of society, such as transvestites, dwarfs, giants, prostitutes, and ordinary citizens in poses and settings conveying a disturbing uncanniness.
Arbus' work impacts the photography world with a sharp attack on the boundaries of what is considered to be "proper" or "tasteful" art.I think her photography reflect my viewpoint. I'm very thankful for this woman and her work.
Sadly, at the age of 48 in July 1971, Arbus committed suicide by ingesting a large quantity of barbiturates and then slashing her wrists.

A tribute film was made in her honor, this visually stunning film; Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus is a very picturesque film about the Diane Arbus and her enthusiasm for odd/bizarre people, although the film isn't biographical.
The biographical inaccuracies seem insignificant after you view this film.The fine performance of Nicole Kidman
as Diane Arbus and Robert Downey Jr. as Lionel Sweeney is remarkable.The film has a weird charm, although it has many very weak points, it's more like a dream, rather than a biographical movie about Diane Arbus.



2 comments:
one of most favourite pursuits when I find myself waiting.bored.or just plain restless is watching my fellow man.woman 'be'... It looks like Diane Arbus did an extraordinary thing with this peculiar habit until she was devoured by her need for departure...
Fur looks like a remarkable piece of cinema, must try to find this obscure tribute...
my very favorite image from the film:
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x244/BlackImmaculate/vlcsnap-212876.png
Post a Comment