Piotr Dumala is an acclaimed animator who is known for his innovative plaster technique that appears under the camera.His creative originality and innovation have earned him numerous awards both at home and abroad.
While studying sculpture and animation at the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw, he found that etching on a plaster slab and painting it with oil produced a surface that could make his drawings appear to move. The resulting light-and-shade effects allowed soft transitions to occur between sequences.Influenced by the philosophies of Kafka, Dostoevsky and existentialism, Piotr's themes deal with dark unexplainable forces that exist in human beings.Using Kafka's diaries, letters, and novels, Dumala provides a unique interpretation of the life of the famed writer. Using photos shot by Kafka himself, the artist documents the writer's creative birth as well as his descent into isolation.
Franz Kafka (1992) Pt. 1/8
Pt. 2/8
Pt. 3/8
Pt. 4/8
Pt. 5/8
Pt. 6/8
Pt. 7/8
Pt. 8/8



5 comments:
amazing!
did you manage to find the photographs taken by Kafka? I browsed the Internet in vain.
Yeah, I know, I did the same thing, couldn't find anything just portraits and doodles. :( If I find something I'll let you know.
imi place cand nu mai intru pe site-ul asta timp de luni de zile, apoi descopar multe, multe chestii noi si faine pe aici
This got me interested too. The most relevant scholarship on the relationship between Kafka's works and photography seems to be done by Carolin Duttlinger, who published _Kafka and Photography_ through OUP a few years ago. Unfortunately, my uni's library doesn't have it, but it ends with the chapter "Conclusion: Kafka the Photographer?," which I take to imply that his photographs, if they ever existed, have never surfaced. Here's a relevant article of hers for the overly curious: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8H7WLIQD All the pertinent Dumala references I found talk about the photographs he "took between 1883 and 1924," which, as you have probably noticed, are simply the years of his birth and death. It seems fairly clear that these photos don't exist, but now I'm wondering where/when/why they were originally proposed to exist, in the context of Dumala's works--a new hunt? though certainly not as tingling as the prospect of photos from the man of mystery himself...
Post a Comment