
Lately I've been experimenting with sounds, exploring the spatiality of sound, recording resonances of spaces, rooms, and objects. I was fascinated by the richness of the sounds. The varying beauty of every single sound and noise nourished my enthusiasm towards experimenting with the various samples I managed to record. It's obvious I was inspired and motivated by several pioneer composer, especially an American composer and pioneer in experimental music.
Alvin Lucier was a long-term collaborator with John Cage and is one of the most prominent figures in American music.
He has long been fascinated with the concept of resonance—the potential of objects and spaces to speak at certain frequencies—and many of his pieces are ingeniously designed to exploit those tones, whether in a musical instrument, a household object or a whole house.
Coming out of the generation of ’60s conceptual/minimalist composers, Alvin Lucier's music has occasionally addressed the minimalist concerns of repetition and drone, it doesn't participate in the pulsing rhythmic patterns which characterize the canonic minimalist works of Terry Riley, Steve Reich and and Philip Glass.
However, if we expand our understanding of musical minimalism beyond its typical textural appearances to encompass a constellation of phenomena involving process, economy and perception, then Lucier's compositions appear central.
He is certainly one of the most innovative composers of his time, a pioneer and central figure in the world of experimental and electronic composition and performance. His works are musically rich while simultaneously exploring the many physical and psychic effects of sound.But for the listener, the result is something more than a demonstration of acoustical physics.
Lucier’s most celebrated pieces are actually quite poignant. In I Am Sitting in a Room, he recorded his own stutter, then recorded the sound of the playback, playing and recording on a loop until his speech was completely obliterated by the resonant frequencies of the room he was speaking in. >>>more on wikipedia



No comments:
Post a Comment